Hellenic Cultural Museum
The Greek Orthodox community of Salt Lake City organized in 1905 to form its first church, becoming the 14th Greek Orthodox parish community in the United States and the oldest between the Mississippi River and the Pacific coast. After an initial meeting in January, the community acquired a site for a church at 439 West 400 South and obtained a loan for construction. The first priest arrived from Greece in April. The first church building was dedicated on October 29, 1905, and named Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church.
The church was a central element of Greek Town in the non-Mormon immigrant district of Salt Lake City and served Serbian and Russian immigrants in addition to Greeks. The community quickly outgrew the original church building and initiated plans for a new building around 1920. The original building was sold and the site of the current Holy Trinity Cathedral, at Third South and Second West, was acquired. The church cornerstone was laid August 23, 1923, the first service was conducted on August 13, 1924, and the new edifice was consecrated on August 2, 1925, after the mortgage had been paid.
Holy Trinity Cathedral underwent a major renovation between 1997 and 2005, at a cost of $4.2 million.
-- From Wikipedia